Thursday, June 28, 2012

Utah Digital Newspapers - Garfield County News

Utah Digital Newspaper has added more issues of The Garfield County News up to 1973.  It now has issues from 1923 to 1973.  I have been waiting for them to update the issues because I wanted to look for the obituary of Mary Henrie Cooper.  I don't know much about her and hoped that there would be more information about her life in the obituary.  She died in 1954, so I never knew her.  I was also hoping that there might be a photo of her.  I'm still trying to get a picture of her from someone. Click here to see the Mary Cooper death announcement.  I find it interesting that Bell Cooper, her daughter in law, sang in almost every funeral in town, but she did not sing in this funeral.  


I also found Grandpa (Than) Cooper's obituary.  I have seen it before, but included it for those of you who have not.  Click here to see his Funeral Article.  One new thing I learned from his obituary is that he began taking care of the Panguitch Cemetery in 1962.  I had wondered what year he started that job.  He would have been about 70 years old!  What a hard working man, to take on a new responsibility at that age after retiring from herding sheep.  It also says that he worked there until 1969, he would have been about 77.  He died in 1970, so he wasn't "retired" for long before he passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment