Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Utah Digital Newspaper Database

I have really enjoyed searching the old newspapers that are available on the Utah Digital Newspapers website.  I have mostly searched for news items that mentioned my mom and dad.  For example, in the Iron County Record I found a birth announcement for my father.  In the Garfield County News I found many articles telling about programs that my mom sang in and listed the song she sang.  Grandma Cooper used to sing in just about every funeral in town, and you can read her name in the many articles about funerals in Panguitch.  Aunt Gwen's name was listed as the pianist many times.  I found many obituaries of family members.  It is a really interesting source of history.

 One story I found was about the death and funeral of Gwen and Lynn Davis' 20 month old son that was run over by a delivery man backing out of the driveway near the Davis' home.  This happened July 28, 1938, on Grandma Cooper's birthday.  I had heard about this terrible accident many times.  You can read the article by clicking Here.


No comments:

Post a Comment